Friday, July 24, 2009

The big move

Nick was so excited today that we were finally able to get some of the calves down to the front pasture. The cool weather has been a HUGE asset in getting these calves ready and in good condition. I have to say that this is one of the quietest sets of calves that we have every had and that helps matters a lot. I think that we may have broke 90 degrees for the first time this month but Nick has been working his tail off all day down in the new "wash house" rinsing calves and doing a little clipping. The calves look great thanks to Nick's hard work and I would guess thanks to our consignors who brought us such a powerful set of calves.

I don't think that I have told you all about Nick yet. Nick Andreson is heading into his third year at ISU this fall and is planning on being a vet. I hurt my back this spring so I posted a job opening at ISU just before finals week. We had several great applicants and we are thrilled to have Nick with us. He is incredibly talented with the cattle and has a great way with them. It takes a special person to do this work...or maybe just to work for me. I am a little particular about how my cattle are handled and Nick has greatly lived up to my standards. He thinks outside of the box and recognizes a problem...he just has some mechanical issues. We try not to tease him too much about that as I am not sure that he has my sense of humor. He is very athletic however and has been able to put his fire pit jumping skills to work. I would have to say that his pole vaulting skills need a bit more tuning. I don't think the pole is supposed to go through your foot! Ohhhh, the stories I could tell! LOL

We will miss him when he goes back to college but we are really looking forward to having him along with us during the Iowa State Fair. Nick is planning on coming back on weekends until our sale if over so I hope all of you get a chance to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment