Sunday, July 12, 2009

Can you hear the music?

What is it about Sunday's and rain that make every song you hear tweak some deep sentiment? Maybe it's just that I am too mushy. Maybe it's the phone call that I got from a dear friend in Texas while standing outside in the middle of thunder and impending rain at 8:00 AM this morning telling me that after generations they are throwing in the towel due to the drought. I don't know. Life is so amazing to me sometimes; the delicate balance that we are constantly battling to maintain with mother nature. So here I am sitting in the house blogging while it pours...almost two inches now...listening to the soundtrack from Evita! Eva's final broadcast...it's a killer!!!

The north creek fence/hotwire is gone from the last storm. I had a massive floodgate firmly secured on twelve foot banks with massive augered anchors. That was demolished last fall after ten years of faithful service. Since then I have resigned myself to "breakaway" flood fencing. After any bad gully washers I simply have to replace a single wire and about three cheap insulated posts. I sometimes feel a little smug about this arrangement. Kind of like thumbing my nose at that Mother, Nature. She can't beat me!!! But this morning, armed with my cheap posts, light wire and fencing pliers I stood braced for the next rain battle with my cell phone in my hand and listening to the tears of a friend who was giving up his life dream. As the torrential downpour gave me yet another slap I hung up my phone and left the scene. Today you win Mother Nature. I'll be back! Evita, sing me a happy song.

No comments:

Post a Comment