Monday, July 20, 2009

Money is an issue!

Well, with another beautiful weekend I took advantage and worked my tail off setting things up at the pasture for the sale. The wash building is officially finished and we are currently working on finishing the upgrades on the chute and getting it moved in. We are supposed to get more storms today so we are waiting to move calves until tomorrow.

I wanted to take a moment to comment on something that I heard the other day that has me a bit concerned. The comment was that many people aren't coming over to Western Iowa for the sales this fall because they feel that they just can't afford a high dollar steer to use at their county fairs. That really upsets be because I think that there are calves here that will appeal to all; there will probably be some high dollar fancy steers that will certainly be competitive on a national level but I like to think that I have calves that will also appeal to the county-level projects as well.

Every one of our consignors has to place a floor bid on their calf. That bid is not allowed to change and they have to agree to sell that calf at that price if there is only one bid on that calf. Many of the steers will be floored in the $900 to $1100 range. Granted, that price is above the salebarn market price but it is not unreasonable. You have to understand that these are AI sired, they have been worked with and are ready to go into your kids hands. You know what you are paying for and a lot of the risk has been eliminated. When it comes to your kids that little bit extra is worth it in my book. We will sell a lot of calves in that price range. We are not just here for the big time showmen and we want to work with all of you. Everyone gets equal treatment at Club Calf Paradise no matter how much you spend!

I really hope that some of you that are hesitant to head this direction take time to read this. I would really be disappointed if you missed out on a nice steer that you could afford. At the very least take a day and come see us. Looking is half the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment