Sunday, February 5, 2012

2012: Definitions

CATHARSIS:
ca·thar·sis/kəˈTHärsis/
Noun:
The process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions.

I have been away from my blog for quite some time. I tried to blog during our sale last fall but it was almost painful and laborious for me. Some days the thoughts and ideas pour out of me but over the most part of last year the well was dry. I think that over the last few months I have been undergoing a catharsis that has enabled me to view and handle things in my life differently. I sometimes liken it to an awakening of sorts, when you are able to open your mind and soul to focus on the things in life that have always been there but you have never seen or understood. The transitions during this "awakening" seem to go slowly for me and I would have to say that at this point I am actually still a little groggy and trying to wipe off the sleepy dust.

Some things contributing to my apparently ongoing "Catharsis"?:
1. A strict workout routine/diet- I found myself the most fit person in Denison and enlisted his help as my whip-cracking P.T.A. coach (Pain, Torture and Agony) and I signed up for a year membership at the fitness club. I spend at least an hour there every day and sometimes up to two or more. God bless him! He's a rock star.
2. Eating healthier-You seriously need to take some time when you are grocery shopping and READ the labels! It is amazing how different similar items are nutritionally. I gave up deep fat fried EVERYTHING for a month. Yes, it almost killed me but now I can hardly stomach a french fry or a chicken nugget. A donut makes me gag. And sugar...oh sweet sensuous satisfying sugar...well, I have mourned its loss like a dead friend. Not saying that I have given it up altogether but at least I am not eating powdered sugar straight out of the bag!
3. Taking time - take time to enjoy the little things, the big things and anything else that needs to be noticed. The cattle won't die if they are not fed a precisely the same time every day. If I die tomorrow they aren't going to put "She was a crappy housekeeper" on my headstone. If Darby asks me to roll with him in the grass in the sun then by God I am going to do it. I am going to skip cleaning the barn today to fiddle with that creative walnut chair project sitting in the shop. Take a day and go spend it with my kids. Take time to just do something special with or for somebody. Take time to laugh...and take time to cry. No regrets-No guilt.
***Above all, take time to let the wounds heal...and take time to understand that it simply takes time for that to happen. Pain itself is cathartic.
4. Picking My Challenges- lowering my stress by feeling comfortable with tackling less challenges both in work and in other parts of life. QUIT TRYING TO SOLVE ALL OF THE WORLDS PROBLEMS AND QUIT TRYING TO DO EVERYTHING! DUH!
5. SAY NO! - It's interesting how my diet has influenced the rest of my life. Not only am I putting smaller and healthier portions of food on my plate but when it comes to my "life plate" I am doing the same thing and it has almost the same result. It's good to clean your plate but it works so much better if you work hard not to over-fill it to begin with. Tackle smaller portions at a time. Oh, you won't believe how much less stressful it is.

I think I shall dwell on definitions for a while. I will attempt add some humor...Juli style. Some days may be a little out there (like today) but hopefully I can bring a little sunshine to your day.


2 comments:

  1. Thats great that you have recognized the need for change or realization in parts of your life and have taken a stand! :) thanks for encouraging the rest of us to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. And I support you. And this is inspiring. Thank you for being inspiring.

    ReplyDelete