Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Juli is back!

Sorry to anyone... if there is anyone...who has been following my blog. I have been terrible about keeping up to date. Between Hayley leaving, going to the Iowa State Fair and getting ready for the sale it's been a little crazy around here.

Well, state fair was great. We brought home several banners and awards. Nelson 26T2 was the Grand Champion bull and the Grand Champion Iowa Bred bull. "Stella", a.k.a. Cowpower 418u, was the Champion Junior Yearling Heifer. The Iowa State Fair also presented me with the award for herdsmanship for all of the work that we do with the Iowa Maine display as well as the design and look of our Nelson Cattle Company display. It was a great fair!

Life at Club Calf Paradise is going well. The calves have all arrived and we spent the weekend finishing up the video on the last of the calves. That should all be up along with pictures by thursday or friday of this week. The calves look great and I am confident the we have something for everyone. We even have several Iowa State Fair winners including the Maine-Tainer Champion Junior Heifer, the Champion Maine-Anjou Junior Heifer, the Champion Feeder Calf heifer which was champion over all of the feeder calves...including the steers. We have NUMEROUS winners from area jackpots as well.

We kicked off our sale sunday night with a consignor appreciation BBQ at the bunkhouse. A very good friend of ours put together the entire dinner with smoked pork loin and smoked bacon wrapped eye of round, prosciutto wrapped shrimp, rosemary potatoes, home-grown tomatoes topped with mozzerella and drizzled with seasonings, balsalmic vinegar and garnished with fresh mint leaves, cooked carrots and chilled beverages! YUM YUM!!! We had a great time, the weather could not have been better and now we are ready to get the sale rolling.

It's a bit warm and humid today and it is supposed to rain most of the afternoon. Imagine that! The calves are resting comfortably and with the exception of doing some re-clipping, we will just stay busy rinsing and blowing from now on.

Jayde Hunt has joined our ranks to help with the sale cattle. He and Ryan Kunze are a great team and I am very happy to have such great help. Mostly I like that they appreciate my cooking but I am guessing that they are just buttering me up!

Darby had a near death experience yesterday when he somehow got a pretty nasty gash on his side. It actually looked like a shot from a pellet gun or something so he and I went to the vet. An x-ray didn't reveal any lead poisoning so we gave him lots of jerky treats, some antibiotics and he is resting comfortably on the sofa in the bunkhouse today. I did manage to slip him a piece of left-over smoked pork. He loves me.

Well, stay tuned. I will PROMISE to keep up better on my blog. I know how much you all enjoy my stories that reveal my own "blondeness" ...just kidding. I suppose that if I am boring you to death that you wouldn't be reading this right now. So keeping checking back! We hope to see all of you during the sale!!

No comments:

Post a Comment