Saturday, July 17, 2010

Just dealing with the heat.


My sister, Kris and brother-in-law, Dan are visiting from Oregon this week. Dan always asks if there is anything that he can help me with so I promptly pulled an ace out of my hat and asked him if he would like to help me put up my 20x40 shade canopy for the calves. Of course he jumped at the offer not knowing at all what I was even talking about. Our spouses agreed to be our support crew and were supposed to meet up with us at the barn after we gathered our tools (ladder, climbing shoes and band-aids) It was a warm evening with little or no wind; perfect for putting up a giant tarp that could double as a wind sail. Dan and I looked like a couple of handicapped monkeys trying to bungie cord the tarp in place. We took turns cursing as the small elastic holders would sometimes snap us in the knuckles. Amazingly our support crew arrived just as we were finishing the task.

I tried to repay Dan with an evening at the bunkhouse sipping cool beverages, eating Iowa Strips on the grill and making liquid nitrogen ice cream. I think he forgives me. If he asks me again for something to do I think I will duct tape him to the mower!!

******
I don't think the calves knew what to do this morning when we turned them into thier new pen with fans and misters. They ran around like puppies even though it was already very hot. I think it felt twenty degrees cooler under the canopy. It is a wonderful place and much cooler and healthier than the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment