Sunday, March 4, 2012

LESS IS MORE

If anyone is under the delusion that having a smaller herd is less work you need to go smack your head against a wall or squeeze your...hand...in a vice grip! The second round of recip cows kicked it into high gear over the weekend. The almost two weeks of blissful sleep came to a screeching halt. We were up most of the night Friday when a recip calved out in the 40 mph wind. She was in a nicely bedded yard but it was like the antarctic. I rousted Bradley out of bed and we took turns trying to get the calf into the barn while juggling it through the frozen cow ruts and dodging Broomhilda (the cow).

Saturday went pretty well but we took a two and a half hour time out to do some book work from the Iowa Beef Expo. I was just getting motivated to go out for a "Maternity" check and start chores when I got a call from Smith's asking when Betty calved. I told them that we were watching her because she was close. They responded by telling me that they were standing outside the pen and the calf was up trying to suck! Good thing I'm the boss or I would get fired!!

Saturday night...a new story. I had just fallen asleep when Brad rousted me from his cow check. Yes, don't be shocked. Brad does support my cow habit on weekends by doing the "before bed" maternity check but that's not the only reason I love him. The cow's water had broken but nothing going on after almost 45 minutes.

After palpating the cow I was pleased to know that I had finally gotten an answer to a question I have had for years. Will I know immediately if a C-section is required? YES...YES YES. The stars lined up...cow too small, calf too big. One feel of the calf laying almost sideways, feet still a ways in and NO space in the pelvis. So needless to say, a C-section later and after convining one TOTALLY P-off momma not to eat her baby...we got back in the house around 4:00 AM.

So, a weekend without sleep. Reminds me of the time I was calving 40 first calf heifers or when I had 150 head to calve out. How did I ever get it into my head that cutting back to running a few incredible donor females and recips was going to be simpler? I need an intervention. I am addicted to these beasts...I might hate them a little right at this very moment but one trip to the calf nursery and all is right with the world. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment