Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Just another day...in the life of snow.

It's been a long time since I have touched base on my blog. I guess the world is still spinning at its usual pace. It seems like almost everyone is exhausted in one way or another. Some are already calving and so goes the battle. Most however are just exhausted with the weather. It is relentless and even the old farts are admitting that this winter beat them all. Not too encouraging I guess.

Nelson Cattle Company is busy as usual. Mostly that means that I have been busy moving snow and keeping the few cows that we have here at the farm comfortable, fat and happy. I sold quite a few cows and then sent all of my replacements and recips to another facility in the fall. I only kept my donors and a handful of replacements here. I thought it was going to be a cake-walk until I realized that I had over-sold my stalk bales thanks to the weather. I think it is all worked out now but somewhere along the line about 60 head of deer decided to move in and are thinking that sharing our hay/stalk reserves are part of the deal. Darby takes greta pleasure in taking chase to any brave deer that ventures too close to the barns but when you wake up in the morning to a deer peering into your window I think it's easy to see that I am no longer in control. I guess that is how mother nature works.

I plan on keeping this more up to date from now on. Please stay in touch! There are LOTS of new things happening at NCC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment